Following the precepts put forth in Xavier University’s mission statement and Jesuit tradition, the faculty of the College of Nursing affirms its mission to educate undergraduate and graduate students with an emphasis on preparing them to be nursing leaders and scholars in the delivery of interprofessional, collaborative, holistic care in a complex, population-based, dynamic health care environment and diverse socio-political global community. Ignatian values frame the faculty and students’ personal and professional development, their scholarship, leadership and service.
The College of Nursing’s mission statement and philosophy are accessible to current and prospective students, faculty and other constituents and can be found at: http://www.xavier.edu/nursing-graduate-programs/mission.cfm . Faculty eagerly embrace the challenge to prepare the next generation of nurse professionals to work and lead in the nation’s evolving health care system.
The College offers a baccalaureate degree, a master’s degree and doctor of nursing practice degree. There are three pre-licensure program options: the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN), the Accelerated BSN (ABSN), and the Master of Science in Nursing: Director Entry as Second Degree (MIDAS). There is one pathway to the master’s degree: a traditional masters for nurses with a BSN.
Also offered are three dual degrees: MSN/MBA*, MSN/MEd, and MSN/MSCJ.
One post-master’s certificate option is available to registered nurses with a Master of Science in Nursing: family nurse practitioner. Students completing the program are eligible to sit for the family nurse practitioner certification exam. An additional post-master’s certificate is being planned: psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner.
The Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) in Population Health Leadership program is a population health focused post-master’s program for nurses from a variety of practice settings to become leaders in addressing the complexity of health care outcomes in the 21st century.
The baccalaureate degree program in nursing, master’s degree program in nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice program and post-graduate APRN certificate program at Xavier University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education http://www.ccneaccreditation.org
Enrolled students must present evidence of the following prior to entrance in all clinical/practicum courses and as required:
- Completed HIPAA Requirements and OSHA requirements
- MMR immunization
- Proof of varicella (chicken pox) immunization/immunity
- Completed Hepatitis B series
- Annual tuberculosis screening
- Up to date Tdap vaccination (Adacel)
- Annual physical examination completed by health care provider
- Current BLS training for healthcare providers provided by the American Heart Association (part 1 and part 2).
- Proof of current health care coverage throughout nursing program
- Liability insurance ($2,000,000/$4,000,000), purchased through the University and billed to student’s account.
- Influenza (annual) vaccine by required date
- RN licensure in the United States and in the state in which the student will participate in clinical rotations (required for individuals enrolled in graduate nursing for registered nurses programs only). This requirement does not apply to students in the BSN, ABSN or MSN MIDAS program.
- Annual federally regulated background check
- Annual federally regulated drug test
- Release of Records authorization
- Fire safety training verification
- Assumption of risk and release agreement
- Additional clinical requirements may be necessary depending on the clinical site.
Further details can be found in: Student Health and Background Check Requirements for the College of Nursing policy.
In addition to costs associated with the above listed requirements, students are responsible for costs related to providing their own transportation to and from clinical sites, clinical supplies and required uniforms.
Go to https://www.xavier.edu/msn/Admission.cfm to reference graduate admission requirements for registered nurses.
Go to https://www.xavier.edu/msn/midas.cfm to reference MSN MIDAS graduate admission requirements.
College of Nursing
Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Master of Science in Nursing
Doctor of Nursing
Post Master’s Certificate